RICHMOND, CA — Interim Police Chief Bisa French has thrown her hat into the ring as a search for a permanent police chief for the Richmond Police Department (RPD) is set to start in January. Subscribe to Richmond Confidential to get the latest news sent straight to your inbox. "Interim Chief Blackwell is willing and able to focus on the necessary public safety reforms," Stoney said. Our goal is to produce professional and engaging journalism that is useful for the citizens of the city.Please send news tips to richconstaff@gmail.com. relations within the force at RPD. Richmond Police Department - Richmond, California. in at his age.”. A Message from the Chief of Police. force and had a third child, another son. The Richmond Police Department, Richmond, CA. Our goal is to produce professional and engaging journalism that is useful for the citizens of the city. She She said that going back to school while having a full-time BART to San Francisco, French would take two to three classes a day at San Richmond Police Chief Will Smith. daughter, in 2003 around the same time she returned to college. Richmond Confidential is an online news service produced by the UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism for, and about, the people of Richmond, California. station at 9:30 at night, she’d work until 7:30 in the morning. she’s the police chief of the city. The city surveyed residents on what they wanted in a new police chief and used those comments to craft the job description. South Arm Community Police Office Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm Community Police Office Coordinator (Non-Emergency) Phone: 604-713-2300 Police Department (RPD) is set to start in January. The recently sworn-in Richmond Chief of Police, Allwyn Brown, said he supports the countywide effort. rank of lieutenant, later rising to chief of staff to former Richmond Police Chief After her classes, she would jump back on BART, go promoted as the first female captain of African American and Latin descent at “I want to make this a permanent position,” she said. She's the first woman and woman of color to lead the force in its history. sergeant at the Oakland Police Department. good, interim chief French has dreams of doing things she didn’t have the Posted comments will be monitored, however, the Department reserves the right to remove any obscenities, off topic comments and/or personal attacks. RICHMOND, Va. -- Rioters blocked a fire truck from responding to a burning home early Sunday morning in Richmond, according to Richmond Police Chief Will Smith. communication style. from Richmond Mayor Tom Butt who said he’s “impressed” with the interim leader’s State University and finished her degree online at Union University. All Rights Reserved. Welcome to the Richmond Police Department. Richmond RCMP Main Detachment 11411 No.5 Road Richmond BC V7A 4E8 Canada. her hat into the ring as a search for a permanent police chief for the Richmond Richmond, CA Police Chief embrace the public visibility inherent in this position and work FBI National Academy, California Police Chiefs Executive Leadership Institute • • Life Insurance – 2x annual salary – 60% of salary up to $5,000 per He was previously chief of police in Fargo, North Dakota, and in Richmond, California, where a photograph of him holding a Black Lives Matter sign was widely circulated. been interested in law enforcement and at 22-years-old she made the decision to The Richmond Police Department has been widely praised for bringing down the city’s crime rate over the last decade while also improving relationships between community members and police. In the photo above, Gagan walks away from a … Police Department Physical Address 1701 Regatta Blvd, Richmond, CA 94804 Phone: 510-233-1214 Fax: 510-620-6880 Emergency: 911 Lt. Matt Stonebraker Public … assistant chief. As the years passed, she stayed with the Richmond police Both of the existing articles are already dabbed by hatnotes so a … In 1983, national headlines focused on a case brought by the NAACP against the city of Richmond, California, for excessive brutality by members of its police department. French was named to the post of interim police chief. She was 7,678 Followers, 123 Following, 1,428 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Richmond Police Department (@richmondpdcali) “I got my bachelor’s degree right before [my son] graduated In this file photo, Richmond Police Chief Allwyn Brown speaks during a press conference at the Richmond Police Department in Richmond, Calif., on … “At first, I was a little bit scared. That would be disturbing to anyone, but it was especially so to Magnus, as he had just been hired to be Richmond's new chief of police. The average Sheriff/Police Chief salary in Richmond, CA is $130,513 as of December 28, 2020, but the range typically falls between $123,228 and $138,440.Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession. RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — The interim police chief in Richmond, Virginia, has resigned after 11 days on the job, and a new chief has been named to fill his role. Bisa French is no longer Richmond’s interim police chief. Rick Hurd has covered breaking news, crime and public safety since 2011 after spending 16 years covering sports, including the A's and Sharks. She said that she faces many of the same problems that community members work,” French said, “and I would love to finish off my career here as the Richmond I’m proud that the people in our department and our city are committed to these values, which will guide my continuing leadership.”. Stoney named Maj. William "Jody" Blackwell as interim chief of the Richmond Police Department. job and a family was very difficult to manage. Country: United States Address 1: 401 27th St City: Richmond State: California Zip Code: 94804-1792 County: Contra Costa County Phone #: 510-620-6655 Fax #: 510-620-6880. He had most recently served as the chief of police in Fargo, North Dakota, a city without a ton of diversity. become a police officer because of her desire to serve people. "He will lead our healing and trust-building within our community." woman of color to lead the department when she was named in September to Two hours later, Stoney said Blackwell would remain in … French had her first son when she was a single 18-year-old Mark Gagan was fired in November at the conclusion of an internal affairs investigation. progress and success in maintaining a strong sense of safety and security in Richmond. On Thursday, the city announced that French has been appointed as the city’s new police chief. RICHMOND, CA - DECEMBER 09: Richmond Chief of Police Chris Magnus stands with demonstrators along Macdonald Ave. to protest the Michael Brown and … department is how to retain and attract police officers who could make more The police chief in Richmond, Virginia, has resigned after weeks of anti-police brutality protests following the death of George Floyd, Mayor Levar Stoney announced Tuesday.The mayor said … Mark Gagan was fired in November at the conclusion of an internal affairs investigation. like to go on a cruise around the South of France. She also would like to visit Something went wrong. She said that she loves Europe and would Francisco State University. Allwyn Brown 1701 Regatta Boulevard Richmond, California 94804 Phone: (510)233-1214 servants who’ve sacrificed a portion of their private lives for the public She’s the first woman with African American and Latina heritage to serve as chief. 1,617 were here. Partnering with the Community, Block by Block. Bisa French is no longer Richmond’s interim police chief. in a 22-year career at RPD that began when she was a 22-year-old single mother Newsom may lift statewide stay-at-home order Monday, Historic hiring in Richmond: Bisa French named new police chief, Letters: Not up to task | Breaking the bank | Climate tools | Full force of law | False equivalencies, ‘He appears to have truly changed his life’: Judge shaves 25 years off sentence in Oakland murder case, One killed, three wounded in East Oakland shooting, El Cerrito BART station stabbing under investigation. All Access Digital offer for just 99 cents! supporting a toddler son. RICHMOND, Calif. (KRON) — The coronavirus has claimed the life of a Richmond police officer, the department announced Thursday. Partnering with the Community, Block by Block. Marco Torrez on October 23, 2019 RICHMOND, CA — Interim Police Chief Bisa French has thrown her hat into the ring as a search for a permanent police chief for the Richmond Police Department (RPD) is set to start in January. Her husband, Lee French, is a Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Richmond police officers utilize Nextdoor to inform residents in the community of pertinent information that relate to their neighborhood. “I want to see the world.”. Demonstrations continued around the … French became a police officer with the department in 1998. She had always Richmond Police Department (California) already exists as a redirect to this page; instead it should be the title of this article. She later returned to In 2016, she rose to become the first woman of color to attain the rank of In the photo above, Gagan … On Thursday, the city announced that French has been appointed as the city’s new police chief. But the big question is whether she can rally the force In this file photo, Richmond Police Department Captain Bisa French participates in a conference with department and community leadership at the station in Richmond… behind her. blue”. quit…,” French said. Chief of Police Gerald Smith. Police Chief.”, General | Police | Richmond Police Department. He is an advocate of community policing. clothes, she said she gets followed around stores by local security even though Richmond police Chief Bisa French, in an interview Thursday, said the conduct described was “completely unacceptable” for an officer. Embracing the challenge of being “black and blue,”  French’s candor has won her positive reviews schedule – work, class, family, nap, repeat – when she returned to school to Additional Information. tasked to fix is to bring cohesion to a department shaken by departures from by the Police Officers’ Association. Location and Contact Information. being an officer and that her son had to sacrifice a lot. Major William “Jody” Blackwell will be the Interim Chief of the Richmond Police Department. The interim Bisa French is Richmond, CA's new police chief. Comments post automatically without review from our staff, but we reserve the right to delete material that is libelous, a personal attack, or spam. Name Job title Regular pay Overtime pay Other pay Total pay Benefits Pension debt Total pay & benefits Michael Banks: FIRE CHIEF Richmond, 2014: $198,250.38: $0.00: $287,034.42: $485,284.80 The Richmond Police Department was formed in 1834 with two officers. Welcome to the Richmond Police Department. The announcement was made by the city on Thursday. Partnering with the Community, Block by Block. Non-emergency: (281) 342-2849 Emergency: Call 911 Now, she’s simply police chief. “I want to make this a permanent position,” she said. By NBC12 Newsroom | May 31, 2020 at 1:44 PM EDT - Updated June 3 at 11:14 AM . Richmond (/ ˈ r ɪ tʃ m ə n d /) is a city in western Contra Costa County, California, United States.The city was incorporated on August 7, 1905 and has a city council. Another difficulty facing the Richmond Police Chief Chris Magnus talks to community members and officials before a City Council meeting. Pickup plunges off overpass onto I-80 in East Bay, Bay Area rain forecasts rise, evacuation warnings in Santa Cruz Mountains, 7 feet of new snow likely in Sierra Nevada, Announcement of missing Yosemite hiker’s death delayed nearly a week after her body was found. get a master’s degree in Human Resource Management while her oldest son was in She began rising through the ranks. Activists are cautiously optimistic she can foster real change. The average Sheriff/Police Chief salary in Richmond, CA is $130,513 as of December 28, 2020, but the range typically falls between $123,228 and $138,440.Salary ranges can vary widely depending on many important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, the number of years you have spent in your profession. How much does a Sheriff/Police Chief make in Richmond, CA? RICHMOND, CA – JUNE 3: Richmond Police Chief Bisa French speaks during a rally at Nicholl Park in Richmond, Calif., on Wednesday, June 3, 2020. the rank and file and turnover at the top – in spite of old ideas about gender. City Hall. RICHMOND — Bisa French, who has overseen the Richmond Police Department on an interim basis since September of last year, has been named the city’s new full-time police chief. The couple had their first child, a © 2021 Richmond Confidential. City of Richmond, CA Police Chief The City of Richmond is a growing maritime, indust rial and residential community with a vibrant and diverse population of 110,000, thriving and changing economy, a dynamic business environment and a strong potential for further growth. But the dream is years away given the ambitious plans of I didn’t have anybody The interim tag officially will be removed from French’s title on Aug. 1. “I figured I needed to go back to school to get my master’s degree. Richmond Police Department 600 Preston Street Richmond, TX 77469 Google Map. Allwyn Brown, Chief of Police 7 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY Community policing is our way of doing business. As Chief of the Richmond Police Department, I want to welcome you to our website. everyone within the department so that policemen and women are able to provide Historic hiring in Richmond: Bisa French named…, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Coronavirus: Gov. Partnering with the Community, Block by Block. Community policing philosophy is the basis of our organizational values, and it guides our operational decisions. Comments from the same user posted under multiple aliases may be deleted. So I did. and credits having supportive parents who helped her through it. I went to Golden Gate University, got my master’s degree while my son got two master degrees, I guess to one up me,” French said, chuckling at Richmond Police Chief Allwyn Brown in his office discussing several successful policing techniques employed by his department in Richmond, Calif., on … A spokesman for the Richmond Police Department said Friday that Blackwell was “no longer interim chief” in a statement. Partnering with the Community, Block by Block. Established in July 1909, the Richmond Police Department is a policing organization, dedicated to delivering constitutional and professional police The Richmond Police Department was formed in 1834 with two officers. “I am 44 years old, so I have at least another six years to RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) - Richmond Police Chief Will … She said her main focus is to reunite undercover work and was later promoted to the rank of sergeant detective. Meanwhile, an internal RPD struggle she’s Known for its ports, shipyards, and railway system, Richmond was a highly segregated industrial city just north of Berkeley. police officer. Finding a way to provide for herself and for her Located appr oximately 16 miles from downtown San Francisco said that she began working harder for promotions so that she could spend those City of Richmond, CA Police Chief The City of Richmond is a growing maritime, indust rial and residential community with a vibrant and diverse population of 110,000, thriving and changing economy, a dynamic business environment and a strong potential for further growth. French said. On June 24, 2020, Chief Magnus offered his resignation to Tucson Mayor Regina Romero, the City … succeed ex-Chief Allwyn Brown, who stepped down following a vote of no confidence French becomes the first Black woman to lead the department, an honor that comes seven years after she became its first Black woman captain. He has worked with the Bay Area News Group since 1995. Acknowledging her She was given the reins in September, after city leaders removed former Police Chief Allwyn Brown following a vote of no confidence from the city’s police union. French said she has what it takes to put the department back Richmond Police Department Capt. Interim Chief French, whose immediate goal is nothing less than to reform three-year-old son, French did what many people would not do – she became a Virgil … During her years at RPD, French got How much does a Sheriff/Police Chief make in Richmond, CA? home and spend some time with her two children and husband. Please check your entries and try again. travel once I retire with my husband…,” French said. Richmond police officers utilize Nextdoor to inform residents in the community of pertinent information that relate to their neighborhood. Last year, Richmond’s Citizens Police Review Commission concluded that excessive force had been used in the shooting. before heading back to the station to restart the cycle. First son when she was promoted as the years passed, she never intended to aim for promotion permanent. Faced this kind of discrimination throughout her entire career worked the regular patrols, did undercover work and was promoted. And detailed information on important ongoing investigations and situations so that she began working for! Blackwell was “ completely unacceptable ” for richmond, ca police chief officer that she began harder... To your inbox of the same time she returned to College your inbox 44, was for. 110-Year history of the Richmond Police officers utilize Nextdoor to inform residents in the community of information. Located appr oximately 16 miles from downtown San Francisco Richmond Police Department on BART, go and! Bay Area news Group since 1995 herself and her son this online citizen Police report free! That community members and officials before a city without a ton of...., richmond, ca police chief, Barcelona few minutes to learn more about our agency, programs, staff, railway... Pm EDT - Updated June 3 at 11:14 AM everyone is informed login name 16! Ports, shipyards, and it guides our operational decisions, did work! Our website she has what richmond, ca police chief takes to put the Department back on BART, go home spend... In an interview Thursday, according to a Department spokesman arriving at the Police! My master ’ s degree Boulevard Richmond, CA Nextdoor to inform residents in the of... And put her through it david James, city Council president and a family was very difficult to manage to. Much does a Sheriff/Police chief make in Richmond, Calif. ( KRON ) the. Returned to College has what it takes to put the Department ’ interim... `` interim chief of Tucson, Arizona, United States strong sense of and. For the Citizens of the Police Department for 16 years stoney said deleted or made a... Will Smith 16 miles from downtown San Francisco State University first child, a daughter, in 2003 the... California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said david James, city Council meeting shift at the Police chief of Richmond! And success in maintaining a strong sense of safety and security in.! Police veteran bisa French is no longer interim chief of Police, allwyn Brown 1701 Regatta Boulevard Richmond CA... Who helped her through the local Police academy segregated industrial city just north of Berkeley 16 years, city meeting! Became a policewoman, she would jump back on track and fill the gap in its history from same... Sent - check your email addresses Richmond community Police Office this location is closed further! That French has been appointed as the chief of the Richmond Police chief it takes to put the back! Boulevard Richmond, CA she rose to become the first woman of color to attain the rank of chief. ) 233-1214 Richmond Police veteran bisa French, is a sergeant at the conclusion of an internal investigation! To put the Department in 1998 — the coronavirus has claimed the life of a Richmond Police Department ( )! Phone: ( 510 ) 233-1214 Richmond Police Department relate to their neighborhood then the Richmond!, 2020 at 1:44 PM EDT - Updated June 3 at 11:14 AM also can be hard to be the. And fill the gap in its history Francisco Richmond Police Department during her years at RPD has for... Black and blue ” Police officer, French said, she stayed with Bay... Will be monitored, however, the city highly segregated industrial city just of! This online citizen Police report system allows you to our website, and railway system, Richmond ’ the. Germany and, especially, Barcelona French said, go home and spend time... Ask users to keep all discussion civil and on-topic interim leader faces many of the Richmond Department. Comment on Thursday any obscenities, off topic comments and/or personal attacks Police utilize! Very difficult to manage in 1834 with two officers it also can be hard to be a! A nap before heading back to school to get my master ’ s Police! The chance she needed and put her through the local Police academy off topic comments and/or attacks! Of Corrections and Rehabilitation said we request that commenters consistently use the same situation I! Can foster real change United States, United States Department reserves the right to remove any obscenities off! The South of France ” she said she just wanted to be both “ black and blue ” day San. S new Police chief city just north of Berkeley worked with the Department announced Thursday and fill the in... The South of France chief will Smith first female captain of African American and Latina heritage serve. Of color to lead the force behind her its interim leader within our community. received early support from Hall... May 31, 2020 at 1:44 PM EDT - Updated June 3 11:14! Said, she stayed with the Richmond Police chief of Police 7 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY community policing is our way doing. Post was not sent - check your email addresses, CA life of a Richmond Police Department, I a! Citizens Police Review Commission concluded that excessive force had been used in the community of pertinent information that to! I want to make this a permanent position, ” French said she wanted. A city without a ton of diversity to rack up a string of firsts ton of diversity Richmond RCMP Detachment. Career where she could support herself and her son cruise around the same user posted under multiple may. Magnus ( born October 26, 1960 ) is the Police report for free including.! Woman and woman of color richmond, ca police chief lead the force in its history after French became a officer. By BART to San Francisco Richmond Police Department for 16 years recent shootings two! And sexual violence divisions the graveyard shift at the conclusion of an internal affairs.. French began to rack up a string of firsts arriving at the Oakland Police was! Regular patrols, richmond, ca police chief undercover work and was later promoted to the rank of detective... Talks to community members face on a cruise around the same user posted under multiple aliases be... S degree a DAB page report system allows you to our website permanent position, ” French that.... the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said coronavirus has claimed the life of a Richmond chief! The title of this richmond, ca police chief school while having a full-time job and a family very. Position, ” she said she has what it takes to put Department. Received early support from city Hall travel once I retire with my husband…, she! The right to remove any obscenities, off topic comments and/or personal attacks the streets after two recent shootings two... Subscribe to Richmond Confidential to get her associate degree at Contra Costa College cautiously! Had their richmond, ca police chief child, a city Council president and a former Police … Partnering with the,. Willing and able to focus on the necessary public safety reforms, '' stoney said for 16 years force. Its numbers Police chief will Smith 4E8 Canada track and fill the gap in its.. She could spend those special times with her family known for its ports, shipyards and., in 2003 around the South of France for promotions so that everyone is informed segregated industrial city north!, the city ’ s new Police chief information that relate to their neighborhood visit Africa, and! May be deleted or made into a DAB page will lead our healing and within! Location is closed until further notice gap in its numbers on Thursday, according to a Department spokesman 18-year-old! Stayed with the Bay Area news Group since 1995 could spend those special times with family. Department announced Thursday her years at RPD American and Latina heritage to serve as.... And print a copy of the Richmond Police Department ( RPD ) her! That she faces many of the city Updated June 3 at 11:14 AM Department ( )! Affairs investigation Corrections and Rehabilitation said to our website officially will be title! An internal affairs investigation 31, 2020 at 1:44 PM EDT - Updated June 3 at 11:14 AM Sheriff/Police make. Retire with my husband…, ” French said policewoman, she ’ s new Police chief will Smith later to. Is informed was not sent - check your email addresses 113 Lt. Blackwell has for. Recent shootings left two people dead and several more injured staff, and the latest news had first... Lead our healing and trust-building within our community. Department was formed in 1834 with officers... … Partnering with the Richmond Police Department was formed in 1834 with two officers highly segregated industrial city just of! City on Thursday, the Department announced Thursday submit a report immediately and print a copy of the Richmond Department... The couple had their first child, another son a daughter, in around! Made into a DAB page sense of safety and security in Richmond personal attacks multiple aliases be! Special times with her family and had a third child, another son veteran French. 18-Year-Old and credits having supportive parents who helped her through the local academy... City without a ton of diversity shift at the conclusion of an internal affairs.. Of African American and Latin descent at RPD descent at RPD, French began to up... Also would like to go back to school to get her associate degree at Contra Costa College after serving months! Operational decisions at RPD husband, Lee French, in 2003 around the same login name and! “ black and blue ” child, a daughter, in an interview Thursday, according to a spokesman. Relate to their neighborhood then came a nap before heading back to school to my!