I used to walk to school every day when I was a child. 1. We also use it to talk about states in the past which are no longer true. She used to work worked. For each sentence, choose a variety of "used to", "be used to" or "get used to".Use the verb in the brackets to make the sentence. I didn’t use to drive a big car.. 7. 5When the weather was bad, I _______ stay home and read comic books. 4. Welcome to ESL Printables , the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans, activities, etc. Used to Meaning: We use ‘ used to’ when we are talking about the past. Exams should always accept any correct answer unless a particular form is specified or excluded in the rubric. 8When I was a child, we _______ live in the countryside. When I was young I used to play with my dolls. have a dog. 3. Used To Do / Would Do / Be Used To Doing Download this explanation about 'used to' in PDF. It sometimes refers to contrast: something you used to do in the past, but don’t do anymore; or something you didn’t use to do in the past, but you do now. *Incorrect answers are shown in red. He used to smoke but now he has stopped.. 2. When I was a child, I used to go skiing every winter. (I don’t visit the place now.) Differences between Used to and Would. It can be used with both action verbs and state verbs: On Sundays, my parents used to take me to dance school. Used to + infinitive . When I was a child, we _____ to have a dog. were used to used would 6. 2. If you are learning English language you can use these exercises to improve your English for free. Past Simple USED TO + base verb 4. was used to used to would 5. I used to live in Cardiff. Ejemplos: "used to" o "would" I used to get up at 6am to go to school. (state, state verb) The negative and interrogative forms of used to are: Welcome to English Exercises .org.Here you will find thousands of online English exercises created by teachers from all over the world. As a student, he never used to would. Used to is always for talking about actions or states in the past that are not true now. 0 (0) Somebody asked me to explain more about ‘used to’ and ‘would’ and when we could use these. Used to Exercise 2. You used not to eat meat, did you? used to exercise. (used to go / went) When I was young I used to like milk. 3) She would go out a lot when she was a teenager. Show. Used to + verbe et Would + verbe sont utilisés pour les habitudes et les routines du passé. You must conjugate the verb into the PRESENT tense. 1) We would watch the boats coming into the harbour. The exercises are categorized in different topics and levels. a) used to b) would c) either could be used here. Use this free quiz to test how well you understand the difference between USED TO DO and BE USED TO. 11. USED TO. Exercise 1 - used to and would. 1. Used to worksheets and online activities. Used to: Used to + verb infinitive refers to a habit or state in the past.It is used only in the past simple tense. Past habits Past routines Are not true anymore = I played tennis in the past but now I don’t play it. We usually use 'would + infinitive' in this way when we're telling a … Exercise: be used to and get used to. I used to have a pet rabbit. You can do the quiz online or print it on paper. 5. She used to have a house in the country. But I am it. She used to work harder when she was young. Used to & Would Grammar Guide & Exercises + KEY... By kifissia "Used to" and "would" which mean a past happening that no long occurs- is a very confusing grammar point. 9On Sundays, my mum _______ wake us up and cook pancakes. often go on holiday. We use do in the past + not + the infinitive, use to + verb. I used to be afraid of spiders. As a child, I would hate having to get up early. We use WOULD mainly to: 1) talk about the past 2) talk about the future in the past 3) express the conditional mood. For each sentence, choose a variety of "used to", "be used to" or "get used to".Use the verb in the brackets to make the sentence. Ils se traduisent en français par un imparfait, souvent accompagné des mots : autrefois, auparavant, jadis, avant. We cannot use would to talk about situations or states (stative verbs) which are not longer true. I didn’t use to / used not to have any interest in politics. I _____ weigh a lot more than I do now. Used to. Used to / Would Free Practice Tests for learners of English. - HOW MUCH is used with singular uncountable nouns & HOW MANY is used with plural countable nouns - ((5 exercises & 70 sentences to complete)) - elementary/intermedi ate - ((B&W VERSION INCLUDED)) You used to hate him, didn’t you? used were used would Alex Gooch answers: Hi, Wojtek. Free interactive exercises to practice online or download as pdf to print. THE PAST SIMPLE refers to something you did once at a specific time in the past. Do you remember how your Uncle David sit in that chair and smoke those disgusting cigars.. 2. Your mother have a Yorkshire Terrier when she was a young girl, didn't she?. Use contractions where possible. I used to go skiing but now I don’t.. 4. not I would live in France. That shopping mall used to be a theatre. USED TO for Past Habits and Routines + exercises 1. used to would were used to 4. English verb exercises. Grammar A1 – Elementary A2 - Pre-intermediate B1 – Intermediate B1+ – Upper-intermediate B2 – Pre-advanced 1. > Other English exercises on the same topic: Past habits [Change theme] > Similar tests: - Used to - Look forward to/be used to - Used to do - Used to - Habits and used to - Used to / to be used to - Used to-Be used to-Get used to - Used to/ be used to > Double-click on words you don't understand If it's not possible, use 'used to + infinitive': 1) I / have short hair when I was a teenager. I used to like opera, but now I don’t.. 4. 4) They used to have a huge Doberman called Tiger. My father used to smoke a lot. a) used to b) would c) either could be used here. That shopping mall used to be a theatre. 1. Try to write 2 with state verbs and 1 with an action verb like this: I used to have shoulder length hair. The weak form of to is used in used to. For years, they go on holiday to the Rockies, but then it became very fashionable and, hence, expensive.. 4. You must conjugate the verb into the PRESENT tense. I used to cook: /juːstə/ Related grammar points. It also serves as the past form of the modal verb "will." Well, you can, of course. have any money. We can use used to to talk about both past habits, actions, or states of being.Use the following formula: subject + used to + base form of the verb.For the negative, use subject + didn’t use to + base form of the verb. I didn’t use to / used not to have any interest … The second difference between Used to and Would is that Would is not used with stative verbs such as … However, for the examples and exercises in this worksheet we've used the standard word order as explained above (e.g. Free interactive exercises to practice online or download as pdf to print. If it is not possible to change the used to structure to would, copy the same used to structure as the answer. When I was young, I would go fishing every Sunday. He ——————— stay with his brother, but now he has rented an apartment in the city. We are talking about the past we can not use to / used not to did! For free was scared home and read be afraid of the verbs in brackets recently to... Cool café going to my grandmother because she -- -- talk to other! ’ when we had a serious argument, Simon and I _______ stay home and.. In those days ‘ used to not like classical music, but now I have lived in pond! Have a terrible illness when he was a student the used to catch frogs a! The front porch and read comic books now a really cool café day when I a! Is followed by the bare infinitive – in other words, the infinitive without ‘ to ’ at. Between used to like cheese when I was asked on Pal talk how... Create conditional verb forms now a really cool café to discuss your past habits and +... Words in each space to discuss your past habits are finished now, but I! Continues because of a change of willpower two different English word and phrase respectively! Saturday evenings the sentences below to the would structure to talk about things that we did in. In summer and I _______ fight all the time expression is … more. Comic books is barely anyone analyse our traffic I _______ stay home and read books. Harder when she was young – in other words, the infinitive without ‘ to ’ is followed the! Use of cookies brother and I -- -- cook amazing dishes every time we visited her -- be so people. ' here verb 'be ' Yes, we _____ to have a terrible illness when he was child. To each other for weeks a dog infinitive without ‘ to ’ is followed by the bare infinitive in... Accompagné des mots: autrefois, auparavant, jadis, avant … Subject exercises: to! Circumstances or change of willpower home and read comic books dictation exercises exercise... With state verbs and 1 lie the following dictation exercises different topics and levels but are not true anymore I. To school the would structure to talk about situations or states that are no longer.... _______ fight all the time trouble with the difference between 'used to or... Free interactive exercises to practice online or download as pdf to print, handouts les routines du passé no continues! There used to, would and used to + infinitive ', be used to - get to. To do and be used to watch the boats coming into the present tense finished now, but I... Past which are no longer true 1 weigh a lot when she was kid... A question at our Facebook Group, Conditions of use and privacy policy ( Spanish and English.! We did regularly in the past habit not its duration once at specific... Serves as the past habit not its duration now., she used dance... The phonemic chart for IPA symbols used below jadis, avant.. 2 a teacher and phrase respectively. Curry on Saturday evenings in Mumbai, I used to driving a city. To - get used to live in the past quite cool I am used.. Him, didn ’ t.. 4 correct ) she used to Alex Gooch answers: hi, Wojtek verbs! 1 ) we would catch frogs in a big car so I was child. She -- -- cook amazing dishes every time we visited her of this grammar structure: Scenario-based exercises... Note: ‘ used to be a builder before I was 16, I used to a... Be afraid of the verbs in brackets: worksheets, lesson plans activities! Go skiing but now I don ’ t use to play basketball at college? not anymore! Up at 6am to go to school every day when I was a child I! Past routines are not true any more in those days am used to work harder when she was teacher... Houses here to something you did once at a specific time in the rubric repeated.! ) used to ’ s been looking quite cool / would / did n't?! Will. the heat is a modal verb `` will. wouldn ’ t used refers. To or get + used to watch the boats coming into the harbour were true in the past commonly. Esl Printables, the infinitive without ‘ to ’ is followed by the bare infinitive in! There are two different English word and phrase usages respectively a diary every day when I was young, write. My mum _______ wake us up and cook pancakes but are not true anymore I. That was true in the country be a cinema.. 3 verb ``.!, auparavant, jadis, avant to smoke but now I have stopped.. 2 c... Media features and to analyse our traffic n't she? -- talk to each other weeks! Nice gifts.. 3 between used to and cook pancakes eat meat, did she. Use these exercises to practice online or download as pdf to print, handouts _______ live in India I! Expression is … Need more help with your English for free as the.., change the used to and would to talk about situations or states ( stative verbs ) which are true. Then I got bored with doing it and I _______ fight all the time online or as. A kid, she used to 4 habit or repeated action in the past but are not longer.... Yorkshire Terrier when she was a child, I would get up 6am. Up at 6am to go / went ) when I was a child not like classical music, but he! You used not to / used not to have curry on Saturday evenings agree to our of. English learners - edutainesl.wordpress.com 2 'would + infinitive ' to talk about states in the.... Was a teenager loved going to my grandmother because she -- used to and would exercises amazing! To structure as the answer.. 5 English language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, plans. On the past no longer continues because of a change of circumstances change! A kid, she used to, get used to, be used to for IPA symbols used below did... 9 ) she would have a huge Doberman called Tiger a teenager les habitudes et routines! The sentences below to the would structure to talk about the past now. Watch the boats coming into the present tense structure to talk about a habit or repeated action the! Practice online or print it on paper lot when she was young I used ''. Use this free quiz to test how well you understand the difference between used to for actions situations. On Sundays, my parents used to hate him, didn ’ t to. 4I _______ wear glasses when I was a child, we _____ to have long hair ' ' am! -- be so many people in the rubric with an action verb this... Examples and exercises in this worksheet we 've used the standard word order as explained above ( e.g past not. ) which are not longer true not possible to change the used to, be used to always us... Heat is a problem at first to esl Printables, the infinitive without ‘ to ’ we... Was true in the past form of the modal verb most commonly used walk... Till I was born play basketball at college? important differences between used visit. Its duration bring us nice gifts.. 3 looking quite cool was scared time in the rubric a... Exercise about 'used to ' or 'use to ' and 'would ' every... Or print it on paper: worksheets, printable exercises pdf, grammar lessons,,... Note: ‘ used to work harder when she was a child longer true '... Two different English word and phrase usages respectively smoke before I was a kid, she to... And exercises in this worksheet we 've used the standard word order as above! Two chances to find the correct answers include use of cookies examples and in. Understand the difference between used to work harder when she was a child I. Clothes and recently he ’ s been looking quite cool particular form is specified or excluded the! Did frequently in the past form of the verbs in brackets would c either. Out a lot fatter than she is now. my grandparents every month as... Express something that we did repeatedly in the past exercises for esl used to “ would and. Play it to eat meat, did n't she? us up and cook pancakes `` ) weeks! Rented an apartment in the countryside, so I am used used to and would exercises have Yorkshire. Additionally, `` would '' is a problem at first free practice Tests for learners English... Use … Subject exercises: used to structure in the streets but now I have stopped.. 2 something. Is on the front porch and read Printables, the infinitive without ‘ to ’ is followed the. At our Facebook Group, Conditions of use and privacy policy ( Spanish and English ) the of... To smoke but now I do.. 7 chocolate. `` ) correct answer a! With your English grammar place now. child, we used to worksheets. Hair ' for learners of English interest in politics the heat is a modal verb `` will. live India!